The United States climate envoy has affirmed that the US will sign the United Nations sponsored Paris Agreement on climate change this year regardless of the US Supreme Court’s decision to put part of President Barack Obama’s environmental action on hold.
Todd Stern also said that President Obama’s successor, even if it is a Republican, would be unlikely to scrap the Paris deal as to do so would have negative diplomatic implications.
This prompted speculation the US and other nations could delay formal signature of the Paris Agreement, reached in December.
Mr Stern told reporters in Brussels he was confident President Obama’s Clean Power Plan would survive.
“We’re going to go ahead and sign the agreement this year.”
Asked about the risk that a Republican successor to President Obama might reject the Paris Agreement, Mr Stern said the situation differed from when Republican President George W Bush dropped the Kyoto Protocol, the predecessor to the Paris deal.
President Bill Clinton’s administration had negotiated and signed the 1997 Kyoto Protocol, which in contrast to the Paris deal omitted big emitters China and India, but never submitted it to a hostile Senate for ratification.
Reuters reports Mr Stern said the Kyoto deal had been a relatively flawed document and, even so, President Bush had taken “lots and lots of diplomatic flak”.
“Paris was seen as such a landmark, hard-fought, hard-won deal that, for the US to turn round and say we will withdraw, that would inevitably give the country a kind of diplomatic black eye that I think a president of any party would be very loath to do.”
The European Commission said that it would be “prominently represented” at a meeting hosted by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on April 22 in New York, formally opening the Paris Agreement for signatures.
“We have confidence in all countries to deliver on what they promised.
“The EU will continue to lead by example and enshrine its targets into law,” Mr Arias Canete said.